Monday, January 15, 2018

Potty Training & Keeping Your Sanity




Potty Training....those dreaded words. I'll be honest with you, I was dreading it when that time came. I didn't push my daughter Sophia at all. I wasn't looking forwards to it at all. When she started to show interest we began sitting her on her little potty. A few times she would be pee, but I'm certain that was just coincidence. Shortly after that she decided she wasn't interested at all. 

I love seeing those articles about how to potty train your kid in 3 days. Yeah. 3 Days. I'm not saying its not possible but for most kids, its just NOT realistic. 

Tip #1
First thing- they HAVE to be ready. Ease into the process and don't push them. Let them go at their own pace. That would be my first piece of advice. And then if they go backwards? Its okay! Take a break. They aren't ready.

Tip #2
Training Potty Vs. the "big potty"
I'm pretty sure this is more parent preference lol! I've heard a few moms say "I am NOT cleaning that little potty!". We opted with the training potty. Here's why:
Scenario at my house EVERY day
Sophia: I gotta potty!
(Mom or dad takes child to bathroom- they do nothing)
Maybe 10 minutes later
Sophia: I gotta potty!
(Mom or dad takes child to bathroom- they do nothing)
Around 5 Minutes Later
Sophia: I gotta potty!
(Mom or Dad takes child to bathroom- they do nothing)

And this goes ON AND ON
Remedy? We brought her potty in our living room and sat it in front of the tv. We put either a pull up on her or training panties


These are great because they are thick and extra absorbent! By doing this, it allowed Sophia to be more independent and helped her to be able to go by herself and when she felt she needed to. 
Now your probably wondering...what about when we go out in public? Well I've heard some parents admit that they keep an extra training potty in their vehicle (you do what ya gotta do, right?). Thankfully right about the time she started telling us when we went out that she had to potty, she began getting interested in using the "big potty" and now thats all she'll use now!

Tip #3
Rewards
Kids need rewards. We all like praise when we do something good! Find what works for your kid! Sophia loves stickers and M&Ms. The Dollar Tree always has great sticker selections so we keep plenty on hand. Sometimes her reward will be a special activity. You could even create a small treasure chest will little items in there and let them choose a prize! Once they start doing good, take them to the store and let them pick out undies with their favorite character! 

Tip #4
Almost There
So we're finally at the point with Sophia where she's going to the "Big Potty" all day long. We even forgot one night and put her to bed in her panties. Thank the Lord she didn't pee! She got lots of praise and rewards that morning! We try to leave her in her panties all day and when we make small trips. Longer trips and overnight we'll put a pullup or diaper on her.

Every child is different with what works for them. I hope that you find some of these tips helpful during your potty training experience!



No comments:

Post a Comment